Friday, February 8, 2013

Plan A vs. Plan B


"There is no need for plan B because it distracts from plan A" - Will Smith


Parents and other mature adults' favorite question after hearing a youth's dream is "What is plan B?" And while there is obviously nothing wrong with a "plan B," after hearing this quote from Will Smith, I would have to agree that it takes away from the ultimate dream.

          I personally think that having a "back up plan" is a safe, good IDEA.   Hmm, I like the sound of that. I conclude that I don't agree with a back up PLAN; however, I am all for a back up IDEA though.  There is nothing wrong with it.  It is encouraged.  However, sometimes those same parents and adults really stress kids/teenagers to take action to complement the plan B.  This is where I don’t agree as much.  Guess I should explain…

          For me, basketball is my dream.  However, if you saw me on the street or at a local mall and had no idea who I was, I doubt basketball would be the first thing to come to mind.  Standing at a staggering 5’8” tall (5’9” on my special and rare, tall days), I don’t meet the standards of a stereotypical basketball player. Therefore, growing up, plan B was thrown in my face... a lot.  But my mind was set. I was going to play this game I loved so much.  And proving the world wrong was something I embraced.

Embrace the road less traveled.

          My road is not a common one, and its not over.  I am still chasing my dream.  Plan A: NBA—the ultimate goal for most basketball players.  Nothing worth having is easily obtained.  It takes countless hours, determined motivation, and unbelievable passion.  Right now, I play basketball in Europe.  It has been an unbelievable experience thus far.  Another stepping stone towards the final goal.  My "plan B" is my degree in Health Science from a great college in Clemson University.  I am still not sure exactly what I want to do with it, but it’s an idea to fall back on in case something happens to where I can't play basketball anymore.  School is something that should be stressed to every child/teenager.  Anyone using Will Smith’s quote as an excuse to demean school is misunderstanding.  It is crucial and necessary in the world that we live in today.   

          Now back to distracting from plan A.  One hour dedicated to plan B takes away an hour from plan A.  Confidence in plan B strips confidence from plan A.  Passion towards plan B cripples the passion from the original owner—plan A!

          For my example, I had thoughts of being a doctor growing up (I thought Dr. Dre had a nice ring to it!).  I am sure being a doctor is beneficial in many ways, but it wasn’t my passion.  One hour job shadowing a doctor meant I missed out on an hour in the gym.  300 shot attempts…gone.  Simply put... a missed opportunity to get better.  People ask me how am I such a good shooter?… and my answer is constant and quite simple.  I shoot.  To be good at something, it takes practice.  Work at your craft!  Strive to better yourself.  And most of all, be humble.  Everyone is blessed with something special.  Something that no one else brings to the table.  Why brag about it?  Honor yourself and the other people that you represent, be grateful, and give thanks to God for what you have received and what you will receive in the future.  It will take you a long way socially and spiritually.  


Dear Reader,

          I challenge you to venture out and chase your dreams.  Beat the odds.  Be a statistic!  No matter your age, race, gender, or what ever perceived obstacle that seems to be preventing you from success, don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something.  What gives them the right? Be all that you can be-- and more!  Much love to all my readers/followers.  Thanks for reading and God bless!

Andre 

     


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so true Dre! My girlfriend always reminds me every morning: 'You are something more than you believe.' Keep chasing your dream and one day it will be reality. I believe you're capable to reach it! Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

Thanks man! And I agree with your girlfriend 100%!