Monday, July 25, 2011

Change

Often, I hear that old people don't like change. Um, I don't like change. Oh well, guess I'm old. Most people tend to settle into a comfort zone and become complacent with their life, attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors. And then, change strikes. Change presents a challenge. It's new and unfamiliar. A confrontational obstacle to overcome. Change presents adversity. It tests your inner strength and courage. You can either let it make you or break you. Here is a story about a big part of my life and how one change presented an umpteen amount of blessings and opportunities that I am still grateful for to this very day.

I was 13 years old. At the time, I stood at a staggering 5 foot 2 inches...just tall enough to get on roller coaster rides. I played for my dad's 17 and under basketball team, The Albany Outlaws. I didn't play much in the games because of my height and youth, but I learned a lot by watching and playing against the older guys in practice. In one of our earlier tournaments during the season, we played a team called the Columbus Blazers. They quickly became one of our rivals. The game was scrappy and everybody was talking trash to the opposition. They ended up beating us in a game that came down to the wire. I was utterly devastated.

Time passed, but the memory lingered.

The season started to draw to a close. After our last scheduled tournament, we found out that we weren't invited to the nationals. The season was over. Done. Finished. Suddenly, out of nowhere, my dad was contacted by a team--a 13 year-old team. The Columbus Blazers. They saw me play in a couple of games and wanted me to join their 13 year-old team who were going to the YBOA (Youth Basketball of America) nationals. My dad presented the idea to me. I didn't even have to think about it...NO! I didn't want to play on the same team with my rivals. I didn't want to play with other kids my age (I got accustomed to the thought of playing with older guys and viewed kids my age inferior to me...crazy thought, I know). However, my dad sat me down and told me how this change could open so many more doors and opportunities that can benefit me later in life. I was 13, young, naive, and wasn't trying to hear it. No!

After all of my complaining, there I was, riding in the backseat with my dad and mom on the way to Columbus, GA...boiling. I refused to talk to my dad. How could he do this to me? I told him straight up, "I am not playing for them if I can't get my number." For those who don't know, my favorite number is 11. After the hour and a half drive, we arrived at the gym. I got prepared to play when I realized that I didn't have a jersey. The head coach, Tony Adams, reached his hand into a bag full of jerseys and threw a random jersey at me. Lo and behold...number 11! You have got to be kidding me? Is this a sign or something? Is this a joke?! All I can do is put on the jersey in disbelief and play with the other guys. It didn't take me long to realize that these guys were as good as I was, if not better! Two guys on the team in particular really welcomed me and eased my discomfort a little. I quickly found myself calling them my brothers. Their names are De'Andre Johnson and Jarvis "The Beast" Jones.

We ended up winning the YBOA nationals. Our success landed my team and I in The Sports Illustrated For Kids Magazine. An unbelievable and humbling honor. I couldn't believe the achievements that we accomplished. I continued playing for the Blazers for the next 4 years--some of the best years of my life! I thank my dad for opening my eyes and showing me that not all change is bad. More of my thanks goes towards the Blazers' organization for giving me a chance to play for them. And of course, so much of my thanks goes towards God! How could any of this be possible without Him? Was this a coincidence? I think not. He presented this opportunity for me and blessed me with parents to show me what I couldn't see. Change treated me well...very well. I gained accolades and met some of the most important people in my life during the 5 years with the Blazers. Though change is hard, we have to learn to accept it. It is inevitable. It often seems to be associated with negativity; however, change is not always negative. Venture out of your comfort zone to maximize your blessings and opportunities. It worked for me!

1 comment: